Securities & Futures Commission of Hong Kong


 What is a trading suspension? When can trading resume? 

Generally, a trading suspension is a temporary interruption in the trading of a security in anticipation of, or in reaction to, an unusual event or condition affecting the security.  Trading suspension may be requested by listed companies or initiated by the SEHK or the SFC to address potential and actual market disorder and to protect the interests of investors.

Depending on individual circumstances, there is no time limit for a suspension. Trading normally resumes after the listed company publishes inside information or other material developments, or fulfils certain resumption conditions imposed by the SEHK.

Investors are advised to keep track of company announcements which are posted on the HKEXnews website or the official websites of listed companies. For suspension of three months or more, check out the status of companies in HKEX’s “Monthly prolonged suspension status report”.

 Is short-selling illegal in Hong Kong? 

Short-selling restrictions are in place in Hong Kong to limit activities that may affect market order or stability.

Only covered short-selling for certain designated securities, as prescribed by The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (SEHK), is allowed. “Naked” short-selling is prohibited, which means short-sellers need to arrange to borrow stocks before they execute short sales. Furthermore, short-selling may only be executed on the SEHK’s trading system at or above the current best ask price. When placing short-selling orders, clients are required to provide documentary confirmation that the sale is shorted and covered. Breaches of the above statutory requirements may result in criminal prosecution.

Please refer to the “Regulated Short Selling” section on Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited’s website for more information.

 Who should I approach if I have lost my share certificate? 

Share registrars of listed companies handle the replacement of lost certificates. Investors should report the loss of share certificates by approaching the listed company’s share registrar as soon as possible. The issuance of a replacement certificate may involve payment of the scrip fee and relevant administration costs.

Please click here to access contact details of share registrars.

3.8752 s